Moving companies are far from one-size-fits-all. Like any industry, there are some companies that are dedicated to providing quality over quantity and there are others that are focused on money. We asked our New Jersey long-distance movers what customers should look for when they’re considering hiring a moving company. Here’s what they had to say.
Ask About Their Experience
There’s nothing inherently wrong with a new company. They might do a great job since they have more on the line to establish their reputation. But they might also make mistakes due to inexperience. Before you make a commitment, it’s important to know what you’re signing up for. Here are a few questions that will give you a clue about their level of experience and how satisfied you might be with the company.
- How long have you been in business?
- What are some of your accolades or affiliations?
- Can I see some of the feedback from your prior customers?
Ask About Their Capabilities
Next, you’ll want to find out if the movers offer any specific services that you need. It’s easy to make assumptions here, but again, there is no standard set of moving services. You might expect a moving company to move your piano or transport your extra car, but they may not be equipped to offer those services. Here are a few questions that will help you judge their alignment with your needs.
- Can you tell me a little bit about your facility?
- What measures can you take to protect my property?
- Do you provide full-service or white glove moving?
Ask About Their Service
Also, ask detailed questions about what your experience might be like. Here, you’re looking to understand what level of customer service you might expect. If the company doesn’t seem very knowledgeable about their claims process—consider that a red flag. Most residential movers are generally eager to tell you all about the dozens of ways that they can make your move easier.
- Can you explain the claims process if something gets damaged?
- What’s included with your full-service moving options?
- Can I pick and choose which services I want to use?
Ask About Their Prices
Finally, here’s what you really want to know—how much is it going to cost. And, more specifically, how does the company determine your pricing. By understanding how they price their services and requesting a binding estimate, you can better judge your costs in order to control them.
- Can you explain your pricing policies?
- Can you provide a binding estimate?
- Are there any fees or surcharges I should be aware of?
Final Thoughts on Finding the Right Moving Company
It takes a little bit of legwork, but there are many great moving companies out there. Finding an experienced mover with a great track record, transparent pricing, and clear policies is your best bet towards a smooth moving experience. Booth Movers has more than 40,000 successful moves under our belt. Call today to get a custom moving estimate in New Jersey.
Subscribe to Booth Movers's Blog